The Project Engineer will design and maintain the structural components and mechanical systems for the Aspen Aerials Bridge Inspection Units.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contributes to product development by gathering and analyzing product, customer and operational requirements.
- Develops and maintains mobile structural and mechanical designs that meet or exceed EN 280 or ANSI A92.20 specifications and customer specific requirements. This includes creating 3D solid models in Solid Works. Creating assembly, welding and detail drawings from those models and maintaining the bills of materials.
- Performs engineering analysis including static, kinematic, stress, strength to weight optimization and FEA on new and existing structures.
- Directs engineering projects to meet schedules and cost constraints.
- Coordinates designs with contract fabricators, production personnel and Purchasing to maximize manufacturability and minimize product life cycle costs.
- Conducts experimental stress analysis on all prototype structural components.
- Help assemble, test and document prototype designs in the shop.
- Work with Production personnel on making ongoing changes to product lines.
- Develop instruction manuals for new and updated designs.
- Works well in office, production plant and outdoor environment along with occasional travel.
- Capable of climbing ladders and maneuvering on top and underneath truck mounted equipment
Education, Qualifications, and Experience:
- BS degree in Mechanical or Structural Engineering or equivalent education and experience.
- High proficiency in SolidWorks: part, assembly and drawing creation, existing model and drawing modification and product simulation. Training to SolidWorks Certified Professional level provided.
- Moderate proficiency in AutoCAD 2D.
- Proficient in applying Lean principles to the product development and production process. Committed to creating an enterprise environment of continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and cooperatively in a team environment and interact with sales, service and production department personnel.
- Experience with the processes of welding, machining, large mechanical and hydraulics assembly of mobile hydraulic equipment is required.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills with users of the equipment users, sales, production and service personnel.
- Capable of operating Bridge Inspection Units (with proper training) on a bridge for testing and evaluation purposes.
About Aspen Aerials
Aspen Aerials has manufactured high reaching, stable, and durable specialty equipment used to inspect the safety and integrity of bridges for more than 30 years. Our products allow technicians to examine bridges from above, alongside or below. The Aspen Aerials product line includes units with up to four independently operating booms, which can be managed from multiple control panels. A full line of Bridge Inspection equipment are built at our factory in Duluth, Minnesota, and shipped throughout the World. These widely used units are the first choice of bridge professionals.
From the first aerial lift 50 years ago, to the first articulated telescopic machine over 30 years ago, the groundbreaking ELECTROGUARD in the mid 80’S or the most recent introduction of TRUGUARD technology, VERSALIFT has been the industry leader for more than half a century.
While headquartered in Waco Texas, Versalift is not only a national company but an international one as well. With locations in Texas, Oregon, Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, France, the United Kingdom and Denmark, we are continually looking for the best employees to carry on the tradition of excellence at Versalift.
We offer a full range of benefits including 401(k), Vacation, Health, Life, Dental and Vision Insurance.
Job Type: Full-time